Returning to your Florida home after a lengthy absence and hoping nothing has happened is a risk. Many homeowners discover issues with mold spores that had occurred when they left their home unattended for an extended period. A few examples of the problems and outright disasters that they encountered were:
- Air conditioning systems that broke down during the summer, resulting in mold damage.
- An air conditioning drain line that became clogged, pouring gallons of water into the home every day.
- A burst water heater that flooded a home.
- Roof leaks that went unchecked causing major damage.
- Power outages that prevented the air conditioner to operate and allowing mold to grow.
If you smell a musty odor, or experience a physical reaction when entering your home, it could be mold related. It is important to have your winter home evaluated by a qualified mold specialist. Contamination can be a serious health concern for seniors, infants, anyone with a weakened immune system, and those living with chronic respiratory conditions such as allergies or asthma.
While physical reactions to the presence of mold spores are typically minor, serious complications can result. These complications can result particularly from the types of mold spores that release mycotoxins as they grow. Stachybotrys Chartarum and Aspergillus are two examples of toxic molds.
While there are preventative measures you can take before leaving your winter retreat for the summer, there is no guarantee of a mold-free environment upon your return to the Florida sun. Call Bowman Building Assessment today for a full moisture and mold evaluation and we will help you not only determine if you have a mold problem but how to prevent it in the future.